A simple, special, extraordinary moment.
A moment I want to pause, savour and remember.
- Approx 75g yarn for long sleeved version ( I used a100g ball of Wendy Supreme Luxury Cotton DK - gauge 5 sts per inch)
- 3.50 mm circular needles or appropriate needles for yarn. The body is made flat, but I made the sleeves using the magic loop method, or you could knit them flat and sew them up if you prefer
- 4 stitch markers
- 1 small button
|sleeve sts on spare cables|
|shaped to flatter mama curves|
|magic loop: sts can look a bit messy until washed|
- Pick up the stitches for the first sleeve, and knit all stitches.
- Join in the round using a marker to note the start of the round. (If you prefer not to use magic loop knitting, you can knit the sleeve stitches straight and then join using mattress stitch for an almost invisible join.)
- After 17 rounds or when you are ready for the sleeve to increase: [K1, KFB] repeat to end of the round
- Knit all stitches until you the sleeve is approximately 2" shorter than the desired length (for the cardigan pictured, I made 7 rounds after the increase)
- [YO, K2tog] to end of the round
- Knit the next 3 rounds
- Purl one round
- Knit one round
- Purl one round
- Bind off loosely
- Sew in loose ends and close the gaps underneath the arms
- Sew button opposite the yarn over hole in row 28
- Wash before use - this will also tighten up any loose stitches on the sleeves from the magic loop (maybe it's my novice technique, but with tiny items like the top of these sleeves, some stitches can appear a little stretched and messy prior to washing, as in the picture above)
|Spotted on the school run today|
- scrap yarn ( I used Lang Yarns Mille Colori scraps - gauge 4 sts per inch)
- 4mm circular needles or appropriate needles for yarn
- 4 stitch markers
I made this to fit our MamAmor pregnant, birthing & breastfeeding doll but the pattern can be adjusted to fit other sizes of doll or teddy bear.
Cast on 26 stitches
Rows 1 & 2: knit
Row 3: K4, PM, K5, PM, K8, PM, K5, PM, K4
Row 4: K2, purl to last 2 stitches, K2
Row 5: *knit to 1 stitch before marker, M1, K1, SM, K1, M1, repeat from *
Repeat rows 4 & 5 until there are 22 stitches on the back section
Next row (WS): K2, P to 1st marker, remove marker, bind off sleeve sts, purl to next marker, remove marker, bind off sleeve sts, purl to last 2 sts, K2
Even rows: knit all stitches
Odd rows: K2, purl to last 2 sts, K2
Knit until desired length and knit the last 3 rows before binding off. Sew in ends.
A long sleeved cardigan version with additional shaping can be found here.
|Our 'Spring Shelf'|
|My Boy with his favourite tree - can you see him?|
My children may not understand all the words but they can see and feel it. For me, this is a deeply instinctive, satisfying and coherent way of explaining life (and death). No beliefs required, it just IS. Whatever your personal beliefs, and whatever you are doing today, I hope you all have a very lovely Sunday xxx
The free patterns and tutorials on this site are available for unlimited personal use. You may print a copy of a pattern or keep a digital copy for personal use only. Please feel free to share links to the relevant posts but do not reproduce or sell any of these patterns (either digitally or in print). Copies of any patterns/tutorials may not be posted online, either as a complete document or in part. You are welcome to sell items made using the patterns, as long as Sarah Knight is credited as the designer.
Yarn sellers: Please do not print patterns/tutorials to distribute with yarn sales, as this is an infringement of copyright.