I mentioned on Wednesday that I'd been reading an appeal from Catherine, who is about to qualify as a breastfeeding peer supporter for East Kent and is hoping that each of her fellow course graduates will be able to have a knitted breast for demonstration purposes. Breastfeeding rates in the UK are very disappointing, with Unicef reporting that only 35% of babies are exclusively breastfed at one week and this is down to 3% at five months.
Having struggled for over a week to get My Boy to feed properly while he was in the Special Care Baby Unit after birth, this is a cause that's close to my heart. Without support - for us in the form of some lovely midwives - it would have been so easy to give up and buckle under the considerable pressure to switch to formula feeding, which was not at all what I wanted to do. Thanks to the help we had, we went on to successfully and happily feed for his first year.
After reading Catherine's post I couldn't stop thinking about it, and so I started looking for a pattern. There were already several to choose from but none I could find that met my criteria of wanting to knit one-piece, top-down and in the round. So I decided to make up my own "recipe" - here's the sample.
The idea is that it can be customised to make different shapes, sizes and colours - just like real boobs. The recipe is available as a free Ravelry pattern here*.
If you'd like to make any donations of knitted boobs (from any pattern), please feel free to send them to:
c/o Caterpillars Children's Centre,
Folkestone CT19 4PN.
The eagle-eyed among you may have spotted a few little changes to the blog this week, including a new page for my own patterns. Not much there yet, but I'm planning a few things so there should be more soon. There is one more little Finished Object this week, but I'll save that for Sunday's long overdue Year of Projects post. In the meantime, enjoy the other FOs over at Tami's Amis and have a LOVELY Friday! xxxx
*if you're not a member of Ravelry (if you can knit, you should be!) you can also access this recipe in Google Docs